University of Exeter
Awards and league table success
Exeter is one of the top 100 universities in the world
- Exeter is 93rd in the 2015/16 Times Higher Education World University Rankings, the most influential global league table. The new ranking marks a significant rise for the University, having leapt from 154th last year, and cements its position as being amongst the top 1 per cent of universities worldwide.
- We are 6th in the UK, 8th in Europe and top 40 in the world in the CWTS Leiden Ranking, when the quality of publications is taken into account. The Leiden Ranking offers key insights into the scientific performance of 842 major universities worldwide.
- The University is ranked 161st in the QS World University Rankings.
Exeter is a top UK university, according to all of the main higher education league tables
Each league table ranks more than 100 UK higher education institutions.
- The Times and the Sunday Times Good University Guide ranks Exeter in 7th position in the UK. It says: ‘Exeter is one of Britain’s most popular universities in terms of first-choice applications, not only in its traditional strong suit, the arts, but increasingly in the sciences and social sciences.’
- Exeter was named The Times and The Sunday Times Sports University of the Year 2015-16 acknowledging the University as the best in the country in academic and athletic achievement across a wide range of sports. It recognises Exeter’s outstanding support for athletes, very high student satisfaction in sport-related programmes and world-leading research which enhances athletic performance at all levels. In 2012 the Sunday Times named us ‘Sunday Times University of the Year’.
- This year’s Guardian league table lists Exeter in 9th position out of 119 higher education institutions. It says: ‘One of the lesser-known recipes for happiness is to live in a place where other people choose to go on holiday…Add to that the fact that the Streatham Campus is widely regarded as one of the most beautiful in the country and that Exeter is rated one of the best universities in the UK for “ents”, and it’s no wonder that increases in applications far exceed the national average….Exeter has an excellent academic reputation.’
- The Complete University Guide published in the Independent lists Exeter in 13th place.
A leader in the UK for student satisfaction
A wide range of subjects at the University of Exeter have performed strongly in this year’s National Student Survey (NSS).
Eight subjects are ranked in the Top 10 in the latest NSS, the most comprehensive measure of student satisfaction within higher education. Theology secured first place nationwide, while Sports Science, Archaeology, Drama and Sociology were also ranked among the very best in the country.
Overall, the NSS has awarded the University of Exeter an overall satisfaction mark of 85.7%, placing it third in the Russell Group of leading research intensive universities.
In particular, students praised the quality of teaching at Exeter, giving the University an overall satisfaction rating of almost 90% for teaching. Exeter also ranked first in the Russell Group for both Assessment and Feedback and Organisation and Management.
The Queen’s Anniversary Prize
The University has three times been awarded a prestigious Queen’s Anniversary Prize. The most recent award was made to a team of scientists who have transformed the lives of hundreds of diabetes sufferers.
This is the second Queen’s prize won by a member of staff at the Peninsula Medical School. The Dean, Professor John Tooke, won a Queen’s Prize in 1996 also for work on diabetes. It is the third Prize won by the University.